Sunday, April 3, 2011

Do you ever hate your husband? Is it just PMS?

I have been having some difficulties lately...My husband brought me flowers, made a couple good breakfasts, and entertained the kids in a manner that freed me up some.  Perhaps it was the feeling of obligation I had to fold laundry, iron placemats, and sweep and swiffer the floor while they were gone that created feelings of hatred.  Perhaps it was the menstrual period that never came, and so it never 'went'.  I am unsure.  I know marriage is cyclical, that there are ups n downs, highs n lows, but the lows have always made me stop and take pause (at least in my brain).  Never the 'highs' because marriage is supposed to have those.  This particular time he was home, at least while the children were awake, felt particularly grating and unloving.  And he agreed, he felt the same about whatever was going on.  The odd thing was, during this brief conversation, I told him (and this must be thanks to assorted Landmark programs)  I feel like our marriage is a good one, strong, able to last.  Maybe because we both know the feelings come and go, and so we can give each other that space, and eventually a good spell comes around and the cycle continues. 
  Sometimes, and I think this is a man thing, the things they say are just totally out there, and, really, just stupid, quite frankly.  I couldn't come up with a more constructive, descriptive way of putting it.  I wonder, do lesbians deal with this?  For example is it simply one partners perspective versus the others partners perspective?  Or is it a man thing, only effecting the man/woman relationships...And by the way, it could effect friendly relationships as well.  Recently I haven't spent much time around people of the opposite sex; but when I talk to other women, who have married men, I hear similar complaints.  These feelings of deep seated anger 'If it weren't for the two small sleeping bodies in their bedrooms'...'so would have walked out the door'.  Right?!  Don't we all feel like that sometimes?  But being able to hang in there...That is what marriage is all about.  Knowing that everything is cyclical, and that all those fairy tales were just that: make believe.  And we can all play make believe sometimes, but eventually you have to just grow up!  Until next time, AIM4Peas   

No comments:

Post a Comment