Wednesday, January 26, 2011

How I came to the title....

 So it is probably long overdue that I really explain myself as to the title of this blog.  First off, 'Adventures In Babysitting' (while not a movie I was allowed to watch) was popular when I was growing up.  As someone who did ALOT of babysitting, I thought it pretty much was a briefing in parenthood.  Never once did the emotional ties, or the parents connections to their kids, occur to me.  And I really loved some of my charges...But nothing can, and nobody tries, to prepare you for the heart and soul change that becoming a parent will incur on your being.  Your sense of safety and security go right out the window, as you realize slowly that you no longer have to worry about only controlling your world, but also that of a precious little being wrapped in your carrier (that I used incorrectly until I got my Ergobaby=).  Granted they aren't little for long, but my concernes didn't shrink because the baby got bigger.  In fact, just the opposite...When I no longer had to concern myself with whether or not they were 'getting enough' while nursing, I started checking off my mental list of major milestones. 
 Shortly thereafter I started to worry about how I would afford private schools and college; realizing shortly thereafter that private schools had bullies and Mean Girls too...Which brought me to the option of a homeschool co-op, perhaps they would let me adapt and expand their lessons in exchange for my daughters attending their group?  One girlfriend quickly pointed out to me that it would be awfully hard to come to an agreement with other parents of what should be learned and how. Argh...
  But really, after my second child (and a conversation with my aunt), I realized that what really happens, is your inner compass readjusts to the constant state of change that your mind, body and heart go through as a mum.   Which is why no amount of babysitting, and maybe some degree of nannying may get you closer, but won't ever fully prepare you, for the adventure that is motherhood.
Until next time...AIM4Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment