Saturday, January 22, 2011

If you must whisper in a large group, then maybe you should save it for later?!

So I spent the afternoon cooking for my husbands 38th birthday dinner.  The menu was eggplant parmigian, with 'homemade' sauce, and spinach and cheese arroncini, which are arborio rice balls mixed with spinach and mozzarella cheese, then covered in breadcrumbs and fried.  Let me tell you that after the cooking and cleaning, my feet hurt...But as I replay the nights events, I am struck by 2 situations that stick out. 
  Hushed voices of my aunt and mum, while sitting with my daughter.  If you need to lower your voice, then you probably shouldn't be saying it around children...Shortly thereafter I actually have to convince my mother that my youngest had the snack first (because she asked me for it and I gave it to her), despite her endless defense of my eldest.  This drives me bonkers, and that is an understatement!  She does it to my husband as well...His grace in handling it may or may not be described as 'grace', but this is a recurring behavior pattern for her.  Short of telling her to 'shut-up' as soon as she starts, I am coming to my witts end!
  My children take time outs for speaking to adults inappropriately; meanwhile the adults they are copying feel it is their responsibility to absolve my children of their wrong doings.  Because in actuality my girls were simply imitating what they just saw; in some cases they were following instructions 'No, throw it like this!  See!!' is a phrase often heard when large groups visit. 
  Now, my husband has said in the past, that if we can raise kids that turn out like myself, or my brother and sister, (which is the worst that could happen letting my mother get her nose in too far) then we are doing quite well...Thanks hon, love you too=)  BUT really, we are the parents, we're sick of explaining.  When is enough enough?  We are always, and maybe soon will be closer to, AIM-ing4Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment